First of all, hello again 🙂 it’s been a crazy semester that kinda took all my time away from sewing. But it’s winter break and I’m sewing again. YAY!
I actually started this project almost a month ago, but didn’t really get anywhere until this week. And (as per usual) I didn’t take very many in progress pics.
A little more than 3 yards of a red, white, and blue striped cotton, courtesy of my grandmother.
I did originally begin this project with Butterick 6053. But, as you will see, I ended up changing a lot and (like usual) did the skirt without a pattern.
The Prep and Planning
I really loved the idea of playing with the stripes for this project, so I started by sketching out new grainlines for all the bodice pieces. I got all fancy and used my rotary cutter ruler to mark out exactly 45° from the original grainline for the front and the back center pieces.
Matching the Stripes
This was probably my favorite part of the whole dress. I used this explanation of the process (which totally helped) to match the front and back seams. The side seams matched by total accident, though I did take time to make sure each side would be exactly the same. It was a weird accident that the back went the opposite was as the front.
For the moment, we’ll turn to the skirt. I played around with trying to make the skirt make the same V-pattern as the top, but it was just going to be too crazy on the eye and too big a pain in my ass. Also, I didn’t have enough fabric.
So, I decided to go plain and pleated. I pleated every first and third blue or red stripe together, so that the pleats looked like the regular pattern. That way, they would match at the waist to the sides.
I was a lazy idiot and kinda just lined up the skirt at the seams, pinned randomly, and hoped for the best. Christmas came early because it totally worked.
Changing the Neckline
I went back to the bodice after putting the skirt together and cut out the sleeves. It took two tries to get the pieces cut out right and then … it looked terrible. Totally detracted from the V-pattern I had going, ruined the line of the dress. So I scrapped the sleeves altogether and made it spaghetti strap (obviously there was a lot more time in between the initial problem and my solution).
That’s about as far as I’ve gotten so far. Oh–I put in the zipper. I need to finish the neckline, the side seam, the hem, and I might make a petticoat to go along with it. Christmas was good for the sewing budget, though, so I might be a little distracted from finishing up this dress.